Fuel Storage Solutions Limited (“FSS”) was founded in April 2002 by husband and wife team, Jonathan and Katharine Barnett. Prior to starting FSS Jonathan worked as a contracts manager for a company that pressure tested and safety checked underground tanks for Shell, BP, Esso & Total retail sites and Katharine worked as a Chartered Tax Advisor for PriceWaterhouseCoopers in Leeds.
FSS is a family run business committed to providing high quality, bespoke and standardised services across the UK and Ireland (including Highlands and Islands of Scotland!).
Initially the company focused on the safe storage of liquid fuel and oil, ensuring that regulatory requirements were met. However, the company has expanded its services and we now offer a wide and varied range of fuel-related services including the design, supply, removal and installation of tank and fuelling systems. In addition, we offer a full range of fuel polishing services, spill training services and supply all spill related equipment and consumables. We also undertake environmental risk assessments and site inspections.
Over the last 10 years, whilst still continuing with our core business of pipe-work and fuel tank works, we have honed our in-house skills to provide specialist fuel storage advice and solutions. We now provide bespoke services that lead your company from the initial site survey of compliance to regulations, through the design, supply, and installation of new fuelling systems and on to the final spill training, materials and spill response plans for your on-site personnel.
In addition we offer many other complementary products and services including
- A full range of fuel filtration and polishing services
- Environmental services
- Hazardous waste removal
- Interceptor inspections and cleaning
- Fuel Sales
Our expertise falls into several areas:
- Meeting legal requirements for oil, diesel and petrol storage tanks, pipe-work and interceptors. New legislation now means that failure to comply with the correct regulations relating to fuel storage is a criminal offence. We can ensure you meet your legal obligations.
- Installing, de-commissioning and integrity testing tanks and pipe-work.
- Cleaning storage tanks, interceptors and bunds.
- Bio-Fuels and Carbon Neutral consultation and works. Every company leaves a carbon trail. We can work with you to make your company carbon neutral and reduce its emissions.
- Waste recycling. Waste is generated in virtually every industry (service and manufacturing). Rather than tipping the waste it can often be recycled. We are able to recycle batteries, oils, paints, light bulbs etc. We can also convert waste that has traditionally been land filled (e.g. carpet, MDF) into compost or set up a system so that this can be performed “in-house”.
We take pride in offering services to promote environmental safety such as:
- Environmental Audits
- Quantitative Risk Assessment
- Oil Spill Response Training
- 24 hour spill response
- Bio-Remediation of Spills
- Ground Sampling
- Waste recycling or (where this is not possible) the environmentally conscious disposal of waste
Over the 10 years since the company was established it has expanded its workforce and now employs fully qualified OFTEC engineers whose qualifications reflect the varied and specialised requirements of the works FSS undertakes.
In 2005 we employed our first spill trainer. He holds a Maritime and Coastguard Agency qualification (MCA 4/4P) which enables him to provide comprehensive and informative, hands-on training to our clients’ on-site staff.
By 2012 we are proud to say that we have provided our employees with training to ensure that they meet our specialist service requirements and maintain the excellent standards we expect. Training includes:
- First Aid
Major Installations Completed by FSS from 2009 to 2011
In the years from 2009 to 2011 FSS has provided fuelling systems to many large organisations. Some of these organisations are detailed below
- The Environment Agency
- Rolls Royce Engineering
- Lloyds Group
- JCB Power Systems
- Cummins Generators
- Kew Gardens
In June 2009 we started a tank installation / update programme for Aspire Defence Services Limited on behalf of the MOD. Since then, we have installed over 50 tanks, and brought a further 40 sites up to meet current regulation standards.
FSS On-going Annual Assessments / Servicing for Oil Tanks
We have on going assessment contracts with many companies. A few of these are listed below
- Lloyds Banking Group
- Norbert Dentressangle
- Kew Gardens
- Kelda Water
- Rolls Royce
- Parker Filtration
- Barclays Life Assurance
- Yorkshire Water
- Astra Zeneca
- Aspire Defence
Fuel Storage Solutions, constantly monitors its quality performance and training and will implement improvements when appropriate, in order to provide defect free products and services to our clients, on time and within budget.
The quality management system is described in the Company´s Quality Assurance Manual and detailed in the Procedure Manual. The Quality Assurance Manual is the means by which FSS satisfies the requirements of its clients, particularly with regard to management responsibilities.
FSS is obliged to ensure that its Quality Assurance Policy is understood by its employees, and that its procedures are implemented and maintained at all times. The Quality Assurance Manual is in accordance with the requirements of BS EN ISO 9000:2000 including aspects specific to the Facilities Management Industry and their clients. The Company complies with all relevant legislation and also The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. All personnel understand the importance of quality and abide with the contents of the Company´s Quality Manual.
We believe in providing you with a quality service. To help you see our commitment to this, we’re members of OFTEC and The British Safety Industry Federation (BSIF) and are accredited to CHAS and SAFEcontrator.